Retail Space in Ontario
A new Stater Bros anchored center called New Haven Marketplace will serve the master-planned community of Ontario Ranch. It will be located at the southwest corner of Ontario Ranch Rd. and Haven Ave. It will be the fourth Stater Bros in Ontario. A grand opening is expected in fall 2019. Other confirmed tenants include Chase Bank, Carl’s Jr., Jersey Mike’s, Dunkin Donuts, and Great Clips. Learn more: https://newhavenmarketplace.com/
- IKEA coming to Ontario? The Daily Bulletin from October 4, 2018, reported that IKEA is likely coming to Ontario, in the area north of the I-10 freeway between Archibald and Vineyard (near the car dealerships). Although nothing official has been announced, the City approved large pylon signs for IKEA at a recent public meeting.
- New auto dealerships: On October 17th, the Ontario City Council and Infiniti of Ontario cut the ribbon on the new dealership. The new state-of-the-art facility will be 37,000 square feet and according to the City of Ontario twitter, will be opening soon. A Porsche dealership is being built, as well. City officials report that Fletcher Jones Mercedes dealership in Ontario outsells its counterpart store in Newport Beach.
Other Retail Real Estate News
- At the Southwest corner of Holt and Melrose, a new Autozone and Wendy’s drive-thru are now open. Several light industrial buildings have also been added to the complex.
- In downtown Ontario, a former supermarket at Euclid and G Street is being redeveloped to include a gym (Blink Fitness) and an indoor playground (Kids Empire).
- The Southeast corner of Haven and 4th will be developed into a 94,280 SF grocery-anchored retail center by the Lewis Company.
- A new Raising Cane’s fast food restaurant with a drive-thru has been approved to be built in front of the Walmart Supercenter, at 1437 N. Mountain Ave., next to Carl’s Jr. Also coming to that corner will be a Blaze Pizza and a vision store.
- Another Raising Cane’s drive-thru recently opened on the former Coco’s site at 4360 E Mills Circle.
- A 10,504-SF multi-tenant retail building is planned for the northwest corner of Francis and Euclid.
Ontario Airport (ONT) Plans Daily Flights to San Francisco: Beginning June 2019, Southwest Airlines will begin to offer four daily flights between the Ontario International Airport and San Francisco International Airport. This expansion of flights offers further evidence of the Ontario Airport turnaround since the Ontario International Airport Authority has taken control of the facility.
Ontario Airport (ONT) Offering Nonstop Delta Flights from Ontario to Atlanta in 2019:
Beginning in 2019, Delta Air Lines will launch daily, roundtrip service between Atlanta and the Ontario International Airport. This announcement was made by the Ontario International Airport Authority (OIAA), within a statement they released discussing the amazing improvements that have been made to the airport facilities in the last two years. Since OIAA, a local organization, received control of the airport ONT has seen a tremendous amount of growth in both flight destinations and
traffic. The OIAA estimates that this year’s airport capacity is estimated to be 30 million passengers, the highest it has been since 2008. Despite the OIAA failing to disclose a specific launch date, Delta has announced that ticket sales will begin on October 20th, 2018, with the first flight taking place on April 22nd, 2019.
Ontario Airport (ONT) Adds Flights to and from Taiwan, Texas, Denver, and New York: Several months ago, Dynamic International Airways began offering two flights per week between Nanchang, China, and Ontario International Airport. On Sept. 30, 2017, China Airlines launched nonstop service between Ontario and Taipei, the capital of Taiwan. These flights between Taiwan and ONT are expected to carry more than 80,000 passengers per year. In addition, on October 12, 2017, Frontier Airlines completed its first flight to Austin, TX from ONT airport, and recently added nonstop service to Orlando. San Antonio and Denver are also new destinations. JetBlue recently added daily service to and from JFK airport.
Since control of the airport was reverted from LAX back to a local Ontario authority a year ago, flight volume continues to increase, with passenger traffic in August 2018 up by 18.25% versus the prior year. Passenger traffic is up 13% year to date 2018 vs. 2017. “Since the transition to local ownership almost a year ago, we’ve worked tirelessly to show domestic and international airlines that they can be successful at ONT,” said Mark Thorpe, chief executive officer of the Ontario International Airport Authority.
Downtown Ontario News
- Chaffey College is coming to Ontario! On Nov. 6, 2018, voters passed Measure P to allow $700MM of funding to Chaffey College to build a campus in Ontario. One possibility for a location is to repurpose or use the site from a mostly vacant building at 404 N. Euclid Ave. (from D Street to E Street). I was involved in the sale of this property in 2016, which the City of Ontario bought from a private owner. This would be great news for downtown Ontario, bringing a large population of students and faculty to the area.
Residential & Multifamily Real Estate in Ontario
- A new 800-unit apartment community called the Paseos, is now open. It is located on Inland Empire Drive, west of Archibald Ave, near the QVC distribution center. (See north of IKEA logo on the map image in the Retail section)
- A 114-townhome community called Centerhouse at Ontario is under construction at the northwest corner of CA-60 and Euclid Ave. Prices will start in the high $300,000s.
- Hospitality Real Estate
- A 128-room Springhill Suites hotel is under construction at the southeast corner of Haven Ave. and the I-10 freeway and will be opening in Fall 2018.
- A new 133-room Westin Element hotel will be built next to the Piemonte shopping center, near Citizens Business Bank Arena. It is planned to open in 2019.
- A new 200+ room, 5-story hotel is planned for the southeast corner of Inland Empire Blvd. and Archibald Ave. It is in the planning phase.
Ontario Ranch Retail Project (www.ontarioranch.com)
Ontario has a goal of doubling its population in the next 20 years, making it one of the 100 most populated cities in the US. A big plan for this will be the Ontario Ranch project, a 13 square mile master planned community on former farm land. Ontario Ranch will add 150,000 residents to the current 170,000 city residents.
- To date, nine specific plans have been approved that will add up to 18,000 residential units, with the ultimate goal being 46,000 residential units.
- 5 million square feet of office/retail space are planned, as well as 20 million square feet of business park and industrial space.
- The community will also include a 320-acre great park.